Thursday, September 27, 2007

Dear Don: Advice from "The Predator" Frye


Dear Don,

My girlfriend is fun and pretty, but she’s not all that smart. She doesn’t read anything but celebrity magazines and doesn’t keep up with what’s going on in the world, so it’s hard to talk to her about anything real. I know everybody has their faults, but lately this has been bothering me. Do you think I should overlook her lack of intelligence and just be glad that she’s pretty, or am I wasting my time?

Partner, it sounds like you’re dealing with a real dilemma there. I can tell you’re struggling with it, and I understand why. So much of a man’s life is spent trying to find a pretty girl, he can easily forget that the story doesn’t end once he’s got her.

The thing about good looks is their greatest value is in attracting people, not getting them to stick around. That’s why you hear about so many great-looking women – movie stars and models even – who can find a man but can’t keep one. A lot of these women have been pretty all their lives, so they never bothered to try and be smart or interesting because men were nice to them no matter what they said.

But now you’re trying to date this girl, and it isn’t so fun anymore. The bad news is it’s only going to get worse. Good looks fade away faster than you think. Trust me, I’ve been there. That’s why you’ve got to have more than just a physical attraction. You need a conversationalist sometimes. What if you want to go out to a nice dinner with some intelligent friends? What is she going to contribute?

If the best thing you can say about a woman is that she’s pretty when she’s not talking about celebrity gossip, you’re wasting your time. Find someone more your style, even if she isn’t as pretty. Plus, the ones who aren’t as good-looking don’t get as much attention, so they try a little harder…if you know what I’m saying.

Dear Don,

I’m an amateur fighter with a couple of fights under my belt, and I’m wondering if I should quit my job (I’m a carpenter) and try to make a living as a full-time fighter. How do you make the transition from amateur to pro, and how do I know when it’s time to give it a shot?

Since I don’t know you it’s hard for me to assess your abilities, so let me just tell you that for 99% of people the answer to this question is, don’t quit your day job. Maybe you’re one of the 1%, maybe you’re not. The IFL has tryouts coming up so you might want to consider that. It can’t hurt. At least not too much.

Everybody has dreams in life. Some people’s dreams are within reach, some aren't, and some are just stupid. The problem with dreaming of being a fighter is it’s not very steady work. If you have a regular job that pays decent I’d think twice before leaving it.

Either way you decide to go, you should at least get a few more fights to make sure you want to do this. Most importantly, keep training and keep working hard. Success in this business is the same as anything else. It’s determined by talent, work ethic, and a little luck along the way.

Two of those things you can’t control, so focus on the one you can.

Dear Don,

As I’m sure you hear all the time, you have one of the greatest mustaches in the known world. I’m trying to grow a mustache and I was wondering if you have any tips on how to make it as cool as yours. How will I know when I’ve got a good one?

Yeah, I have a tip for you: go through puberty first, then try it. I’m just messing with you, partner.

But seriously, there’s more to a mustache than just not shaving your upper lip. A mustache is about character. It’s about style. Not everyone can pull it off, and not everyone should try.

If your mustache looks like something a fourteen-year-old boy would grow just to prove he can, then forget it. It’s either got to be full and thick or it isn’t worth it.

If you’re growing one and you’re not sure if it looks good, the easiest way to tell is by the reaction you get from women. Whatever they may say, women love a good mustache. Trust me. Just let them be your guide. If the ladies wiggle when you talk to them, then you’ve got yourself a mustache, partner.

No comments: